WF07

Wildflower Recap – Jeff Vicario



It was great to see so many familiar faces out there this year at Wildflower. Many fellow POLAR athletes were in attendance from other markets (San Francisco, LA, San Diego, etc…). The whole wildflower experience was great and this race is a must if you have not experienced it at least once. Anyway, my race did not go exactly as planned.



The day started with warm conditions and steady winds. Yes, there would be a strong head wind on the bike, just one more challenge to add to the already notoriously difficult course. The water was a reported 65 degrees so that was a pleasant surprise however the wind created a chop that was unexpected. As a result my swim was a bit slower that I had hoped.



Ok out of the water and on to T1. So far so good, until … Just three pedal strokes out of T1, I flatten my rear tire. Having changed many tires I whipped out my gear and had a new tube in and was on my way in no time. Rick shouted to me as I was changing the tire. I had hoped not to see him since I started in an earlier wave then him. Still only a few feet from transition there were many people cheering and the adrenalin was high. I hammered to try to make up for lost time and soon started the climb out of the park then into the wind. Using the CS400 I monitored my heart rate, speed, and cadence and could not understand why I was constantly being passed. Even when I encountered familiar faces on the course, people I train and ride with all the time, I was not able to keep up. Was I not prepared for the hills and wind? Maybe I didn’t sleep the night before? Was I getting sick?



I continued to monitor my heart rate and speed for the next 30 miles as the endless parade of athletes passed. My legs were burning and I know that the CS400 was not lying when it said my HR was averaging in the 150BPM range. I decided to chalk it up as I was not prepared to race until … mile 31. I hear, again, POP! The rear tire is flat.



The day is just not going right for me but I play the cards as they are dealt to me and pull out my last tube and CO2 and as I pull of the wheel notice that the brake calipers were rubbing the rim the whole time! I was riding with the brakes on!!! No wonder I could not keep up with anyone. In my haste to fix the first flat I pushed the calipers down too quickly and shifted the whole brake off skew. Well, I thought, it is what it is. As I continued to repair my next flat I noticed that the tube burst right throw the tire itself. As if that was not bad enough the location was on the sidewall where the tire bead meets the wheel rim. There was no chance to repair the damage. My race was over!



Left to walk for the next hour toward the next aid station, some 5 miles ahead, athletes continued to pass. Many, including fellow POLAR athletes, asked if I needed anything as they went by. There was nothing anyone could do; I needed a whole new tire. Finally, I got a ride back to the park from someone racing the Olympic course on Sunday. I’m not sure what happened to the SAG support for the injured / disabled athletes but I never saw them.



The venue was still a good one and I am looking forward to next year when I hope to have some better luck.