Piru TT

Piru Time Trial
by Vince Mattera

My Tri Season is complete for 2007, but the racing continues. Since I have to put in a two hour run this afternoon (training for the Santa Barbara Half Marathon in November), I elected not to ride with my usual Sunday Cycling Club (40-60 miles). Today I did something new - a time trial.

Piru is located in Ventura County and the course is on a two-lane road that follows along orchards and farmland. It is an open course, but this morning I saw only one car.

There are serious competitors that enter this race against the clock, with very expensive TT bikes and helmets.

This is a fun, family atmosphere race. All ages and skill levels welcome. The out and back course has slightly rolling hills, and a total elevation gain of 300ft.

Registration opens at 8:00am and closes at 8:55am for both 40k/Sat and 20k/Sun. The first rider will leave at around 9:00am, with remaining riders leaving in 30-second intervals. They give awards 5 deep in a variety of age groups/levels.

There are two more events scheduled for 2007, one in November and one in December.

Check out the website if you're interested. http://www.blogger.com/www.uncletren.com