Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Zuma Beach 9/16/07
by Leah Hoyer

The Nautica Malibu Triathlon is the one event where my two tri teams come together into one great race. Not only was there a large Polar presence this year, but 300 of my closest coworkers from the Walt Disney Company also descend upon Zuma Beach. They were there to compete in the Entertainment Industry Challenge, which pits media companies against one another to raise the most money for Children's Hospital Los Angeles. I am happy to to say that, as a company, we raised $235,000 dollars this year for this great cause and took first place (by a large margin!)

Being able to train and compete with folks from work has been a huge part of my growing love for triathlon. Sometimes it is so hard to make the time to stay in shape and work towards your athletic goals. Thankfully, my job encourages this. And this year, with my new Polar sponsorship, I've been doubly motivated to train and achieve faster times. I've also been able to share the benefits of heart rate training with the dozens of folks that I run and bike with every week. Not only did I have my best time on this course (and made the podium for the first time in five years of competing in this race), but the Disney team's overall understanding of how to train efficiently and smarter helped many of my coworkers finish their first triathlon or improve their personal bests. Great job Disney and thank you Polar!


Leah checking her time and heart rate after leaving the chilly ocean swim!