Ironman CdA 07




Sunday June 24th, Race Day and the strong trade winds from the south and cool temperatures returned. 30 minutes prior to the start Ironman announced that the swim, due to the conditions on Lake Coeur d’Alene, would be optional. Those opting not to swim could compete as duathletes and would start after all of the triathletes exited T1 and were already biking (estimated 930am). The swells were big considering it was a lake. The water had warmed to a pleasant 64 deg, warmer than the 42 deg air temperature on race morning. 7am and the cannon fires; 2400 athletes head in unison into the unforgiving water. Many would not make the swim cutoff. The swells and unusual current spread everyone apart so there was much less hand to hand combat than I was expecting. Of course the swim times were affected and mine was 9 mins off from where I had hoped I’d be.

Out of the water in & out of T1 and I was on the bike. The wind made it difficult to warm after swimming for an hour plus. The new bike course was beautiful though challenging. There were a few dangerous turns, near 180’s, but they were well marked. In comparison to the old course, this one was by far hillier. After analyzing the data from my POLAR CS400 I am still amazed at all the data it captures. I was able to take XXX off my bike split and there is no other reasons other than I was able to train more intelligently with my POLAR computer. I didn’t train more, just smarter.

Ok, so as I pull into T2 I quickly throw on my running gear and head out. Shortly into the run the battery dies on my RS400sd foot POD. I should have known better and replaced the battery but still it would be great to have a low battery indicator on the watch. I ended up running the marathon using Heart Rate and perceived ex ertion and felt great. I am lucky I have my nutrition nailed down. The only deviation was after mile 19. I became addicted to oranges on cola and walked each time I saw them. Still I pulled out a 4 hr marathon and shaved over an hour off my previous Ironman time.

After the race I was not terribly sore and friends tell me I didn’t push hard enough. I know they are right and I am already looking to set a new PR next year and shatter my current time.
-- Jeff